Sunday 20 November 2011

Some Thoughts On Yesterday and a Selection For Today

What a fantastic days racing yesterday and all credit to Paul Nichols and his team for having Kauto Star spot on from what was probably his “Gold Cup” and to Ruby Walsh for giving him the perfect ride.  For me what became clear from the race is if Kauto has reached his peak and is supposedly on the downgrade then the young pretenders (Time For Rupert, Wierd Al and Diamond Harry) have much improvement to make if they are going to be serious challengers to Long Run come March. I mentioned yesterday that my selection Bishophill Jack was speculative and after being backed from 7’s into 4’s I can honestly say that is the worst performance by a selection I have put on my blog since I started in August. Never travelling or jumping with any fluency he was tailed off and pulled up with a circuit to go. Surprisingly as there is nothing reported on the BHA Steward Room “why they ran badly” section it appears the Ascot stewards didn’t bother to ask, although I’m sure there will be something later today on Kim Baileys Blog. Two meetings today at Exeter and Towcester and again one selection.
P&L at advised prices since 24/8 +29.42

Exeter 2.30 Renard 1PT WIN@5/2 Boylesports 1st (3/1)
Renard was a selection at Lingfield when he won last time and although up 8lbs for that win I still think he maybe ahead of the handicapper. He jumped well and won with a bit in hand last time and this stiff Exeter track should be ideal. The main danger from the betting appears to be the Phillip Hobbs trained Robin De Creuse who switch to fences is significant in that it is straight into a handicap, but he was a horse I was following last season who has a very disappointing profile and I think he will need further than this trip. So Renard is a fairly confident selection to complete the hat-trick. Jumped well, quickened home turn to get first run, comfortably competes the hat-trick.

No comments:

Post a Comment